Bowls Algarve Inter Club Winter League Rules and Format 2018/2019
1. Each club affiliated to Bowls Algarve may enter one or more teams in the League.
2. All bowlers in each team must be bona fide members of their club and registered with Bowls Algarve. Short-term members are eligible to play, however prior registration with Bowls Algarve, of at least fourteen days, is required to signify valid membership and eligibility to play. Players may only represent one club. Once a player has played for one team he cannot play more than twice for any other team.
3. Each Team will consist of three triples, each of which, preferably, will be mixed in composition as the essence of this League is that it is mixed in nature. It is however COMPULSORY that the team contains at least two ladies and at least two men.
4. Each league match will consist of two trial ends and eighteen ends of play. Teams will toss for choice of jack and Dead Ends will be replayed. There will be two points awarded for each winning triple and one point each for a drawn triple. The team with the highest total number of shots across the three triples shall, in addition, be awarded two points. In the event of a tie on total shots, each team shall be awarded one point. Maximum points possible per fixture = 8. League Winners, at the end of the season, will be the team with the most points awarded. In the event of a tied situation, shot difference will count. Where shot difference is also tied, total shots scored will count.
5. All fixtures should be played on the stipulated date unless exceptional circumstances prevent this. The League Director must be notified of these circumstances and authorise the fixture to be rearranged (exception to this bad weather or green unavailability). All matches should be played within 14 days excluding the Xmas break. In the event of the circumstances involving the League Director’s club, the final decision shall be with the Management Committee Chairman.
6. Any team unable to fulfil a fixture shall have five points and ten shots deducted from their totals to date and all points available will be awarded to the opposition. The opposition will also add ten shots to their total shots to date.
7. If a team is able to field only two triples, those triples will play their games in the normal way, and the opposing team will be awarded two points and ten shots in respect of the missing third triple. The team with only two triples will, additionally, have two points deducted from their total points to date and ten shots deducted from their total shots to date.
8. If a team is able to field two full triples and only a pair (two players) for the third triple, then the pair may play four bowls each and the opposing skip will play two bowls and his/her other two players will play the usual three bowls each. The pair will forfeit one quarter of their shots at the end of the game. Only one game may be played in this way, the other two games must be full triples.
9. If any team fields an ineligible player then, irrespective of the actual result of the match, the team will be disqualified and rule 6 will apply.
10. All fixtures will start at 11.00 am. (Unless afternoon matches are necessary due to lack of available rink space or fixture congestion dictates otherwise). Should a team not be fully ready to
play within thirty minutes of the agreed start time, then they shall forfeit the match and the provisions of Rule 6 shall apply.
11. Players are asked to wear full whites or Club/Team colours for all League fixtures, however white or Club/Team colours above the waist is acceptable. Flat-soled (heel-less) footwear must be worn by all players. Non-compliance in either respect may result in an official warning. Where such a warning has been issued, a subsequent contravention of the rule by the player will result in his/her disqualification. If he/she has played then the triple will forfeit one third of their score.
12. There will be a match fee of 7 euros per player. The visiting team will pay this amount to the home team and will be responsible for fees from any players failing to arrive. The home team may charge the match fee, or a proportion thereof, to their own players on a discretionary basis.
13. Rinks will be drawn by opposing Captains before play commences. The Home team will lay down their three cards and the Opposition will place their cards at random on top of these. Rink numbers will be allocated also on a random basis. Where possible, the three rinks will play side by side.
14. If bad weather intervenes – and subject to the decision to cease play being made/agreed by the Home Club’s Management – all three triples must complete the minimum twelve ends to constitute a completed fixture. If they have done so, scores for ALL ends played will stand. Otherwise the match shall be declared suspended and the two teams shall agree a date to continue within fourteen days or as otherwise agreed with the League Director. The resumed match should preferably be played on the same rinks but two more trial ends will be permitted and any triple which had not completed 18 ends before the stoppage will play to the completion of 18 ends. In the event that a player is not available for the resumed match, a substitute is allowed in accordance with Crystal Mark Laws 32.4 and 33.4.
15. The Skip of each Triple shall keep a scorecard for their game, which shall be agreed and signed off by the two opposing skips after the match. Each team will retain their own scorecards in case of subsequent query. Both sets of scorecards MUST contain the FULL CHRISTIAN AND SURNAME of each player. Each team, by consulting the published list of eligible players, must satisfy themselves that the opposing team consists entirely of eligible players. If they are not satisfied, or are uncertain, they must raise a query with the League Director.
16. The Home side shall be responsible for advising the result of each fixture to the League Director within 24 hours of the completed match. League result sheets and tables will be circulated to all clubs as soon as practicable.
17. The Laws of the Sport of Bowls (Crystal Mark Third Edition) shall govern all League matches. It is, however, hoped that the spirit of fair play and common sense will prevail in the event that the rules and these Laws do not cover a specific circumstance. The Home Team will provide an umpire, whose aim will be to resolve any dispute at the time. If no umpire is supplied the matter will be resolved by the captains. Where, however, resolution is not possible, disputes will be referred to the League Director, who shall make a binding decision.